Monday, February 20, 2012

A Sense of Order Sets Us Free

I am remembering a very unique and special time spent at the Liberty Corner Deaconry, a retreat and conference center, many years ago.  I was tired, worn down, and needed a respite from a hectic schedule at the time, and so decided to treat myself to a 24 hour personal get-away.  The retreat center was conveniently located near our home and my kind husband agreed that it would be good for me to take a bit of time to just rest and have some quiet time. 

It was twilight when I arrived at the Deaconry on that chilly Autumn evening.  A flock of wild Canadian geese greeted me, flying high above in their vee pattern, calling out their encouragement to one another, on their way south I supposed.  I felt the peaceful atmosphere almost immediately.  The straight rows of vegetables in a perfectly weeded garden, the well swept walks, the neat appearance of the guest buildings......the quiet.  I knew the peaceful order I sensed was very much due to the labor and care given by the Deaconesses who lived there and dedicated themselves to providing a true retreat for the guests who came to them. 

As I walked across the campus, I felt the weariness begin to lift, replaced by a sense of freedom, an anticipation of what awaited me.  I was not disappointed.  At the end of my 24 hour retreat, I went home refreshed, strengthened and renewed.  As I later reflected upon my time spent there, and wrote in my journal, I gave much thought to the fact that the order and balance so thoughtfully provided by those who managed that special place resulted in a sense of freedom and peace for me and, I am sure, for so many others who spent happy hours there.  What a blessing.


    "Happiness is not a matter of intensity but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony" 
                                                     ~ Thomas Merton~

                                                                                                                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment