Tuesday, July 31, 2012

For Today

Quite some time ago, I copied into my quote book a small sentence spoken by a woman I have respected and admired for years.  This morning, as I was reading, I discovered that the sentence is actually a part of a prayer written by her.  I had just read from Colossians 3:1-17 and picked up a book of devotional thoughts.  The prayer, contained in a writing titled "This Day", resonated and expressed beautifully what is on my heart this morning.  "Loving Lord and heavenly Father, I offer up today all that I am, all that I have, all that I do, and all that I suffer, to be Yours today and Yours forever. Give me grace, Lord, to do all that I know of Your holy will.  Purify my heart, sanctify my thinking, correct my desires. Teach me, in all of today's work and trouble and joy, to respond with honest praise, simple trust, and instant obedience, that my life may be in truth a living sacrifice, by the power of Your Holy Spirit and in the name of Your Son Jesus Christ, my Master and my all.  Amen."

"Give me grace, Lord, to do all that I know of Your holy will."  ~ Elisabeth Elliot

No comments:

Post a Comment