Saturday, July 7, 2012

What Matters

As I was reading this morning, I came across a statement that resonated deeply....."do not be uninformed about life's significance" (these words are Dr. Joseph Stowell's, contained in a daily online devotion I receive from a ministry called Griefshare).  Dr. Stowell's admonition got me to thinking about what really matters in life.  I had been planning on writing today and using the quote you will see below.  I guess this could be considered a double-quote post!

What really matters in life?  People.  I am thinking this morning of the ones I  love, share with, am inspired by, challenged and encouraged by....whose lives touch mine. I am thinking of family and friends...some I have not seen in years but who still impact my life through their influence.  Some have gone on to be with the Lord.  Some are with me daily, weekly....some only with careful planning for opportunities to be together.  There are some I have never, and most likely will never, meet....those whose writings and words have influenced my thinking and therefore my life. 

Time matters, too.  How I spend my time, what I do with the 24 hours I am given each day...it matters.  Last night, at a brilliant fireworks display, my little granddaughter, amazed at the beauty of those explosions, uttered "this is a memory I will never forget!" ( well, I guess this is a triple-quote post!)  My best "memories I will never forget" almost always include the people with whom I share them.  Of course there are moments of solitude that I remember, reflect upon and treasure.  Balance is important, and "alone time" is valuable and productive, but sharing life with others is what this post is all about.  The fireworks display that so impressed a little girl was made more memorable because she was sharing it with those who love her.  I am sure of that. 

Today, and every day of my life, I want to be aware of what matters!

"Life is too precious to squander on trivial things."   ~ John Piper

No comments:

Post a Comment