Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Hush, Be Still

After listening to my Pastor's sermon on Sunday, I have been giving a lot of thought to the subject of silence.  There is not enough of it.  Daily life is filled with activity and that is a good thing.  It is balance I find lacking in mine.  The discipline of taking time to be still, to listen, to be quiet has been crowded out and I have let it happen.  This morning, I am listening.  There is a peaceful hush, and even the birdsong outside my window seems to be more soft and gentle than usual.

From what I have been reading this morning, I am reminded that it is in the stillness that wonderful things often happen.  God speaks.   Answers come.  Peace settles deep.  How foolish it is to fill hours and even days to the brim with business and activity, however good these things may be, leaving no room or time for quiet.  I have been convicted, and when it is the Holy Spirit doing the convicting, it is all good. 

I am going to stop writing now and spend some time being still.  It will be good.

" Our religious activities should be ordered in such a way as to have plenty of time for the cultivation of the fruits of solitude and silence."  ~ A.W. Tozer

No comments:

Post a Comment