Wednesday, August 22, 2012

In the quiet

As the week moves on, I am still ruminating over Sunday's sermon.  My pastor gave his flock much to think about, centering his message on Isaiah 30 with a focus on verse 15 where we were reminded that through the prophet God tells His people "in quietness and trust is your strength."  The end of the verse tells us that those to whom God was giving the instruction "would have none of it."

I have been taught the great benefit of a quiet time each day and yet I often find myself filling the hours with so much activity that any opportunity for silence goes unattended.  All too often I, too, am one who is having none of it, ignoring what I know to be of great value. 

I am so thankful for this nudge from God.  I do not want to miss what He has for me, or allow that gentle whisper (1 Kings; 19:12) to go unheard.  Every day offers so many wonderful things to enjoy, most of which keep us busy, active and productive.  That is very good, but I do not want to miss the very best. 

"Deepest communion is beyond words, on the other side of silence."  ~ Madelyn L'Engle 

No comments:

Post a Comment