Tuesday, February 12, 2013

A Birthday to Remember

I think it is appropriate that on this day, February 12th,  I am quoting the man whose birthday and life we honor and remember.  I own a little book, "The Words Lincoln Lived By", which I enjoy reading from time to time.  Lincoln's observations on a wide variety of subjects such as courage, determination, honesty, justice, adversity, simplicity and many, many more  are full of profound wisdom, giving the reader a glimpse inside the man whose life so dramatically and effectively impacted our nation and the world. Most of his words recorded in my little book reveal his thoughts on serious and thought provoking characteristics and values.  Occasionally, however, there is a lighter element.

As I leafed through the pages, looking for one quote to share today, I found it quite a challenge. Each page contains wonderful words from our 16th President.  Finally, I decided upon a quote on humor,  a trait that all who knew Lincoln observed in him.  One such person, Congressman Isaac N. Arnold, remarked that Lincoln's laugh had been the president's "life-preserver."

I find it interesting that Lincoln used the word "evergreen" in his thoughts on humor. I read Webster's definition of evergreen and was pleased to find one definition as "retaining freshness or interest".  Certainly Abraham Lincoln's words have retained their freshness and stir our interest today.  His wisdom is timeless, to say the least.

"Laughter is the joyous, beautiful, universal evergreen of life."  ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

No comments:

Post a Comment